Saturday, March 10, 2012

Commandeering the Word "Homos"

Ninja's Note: In honor of Ice Cream Sandwich, the greatest incarnation of the Android platform ever devised as of yet, I am coloring the font in this post ICE CREAM SANDWICH BLUE, which is unfortunately not this blue at all, but this is as close as I can get without having to resort to digging into the HTML, which I only do when I've been drinking.  

I'm on the fence about posting this one.  I have a feeling that my perception may not reflect true reality here; specifically, I fear that my perception of the degree of the evolution of the implied contract to which we all adhere with one another may - again - not be as advanced as I sometimes give it credit for.  Same with our worldwide maturity level and our willingness to be honest with each other...AND OURSELVES.  I fear this entire post may backfire in some way that is at this moment entirely unfathomable to me.  Nonetheless - those who allow fear into their hearts always finish last.  So I will begin.

Gay community - would it be alright with you if I took the word "homo" and kinda redirected some (or all, your choice) of it away from you all?  Specifically, I think the word is much more suitable when applied to any one of my three cats: Squirrel, Malvo, and Inspector Tequila.

These cats aren't really necessarily gay, that's not what prompts this at all (though they're certainly no bastions of heterosexuality that I can tell, either).  This is a much more organic idea that revolves around the musical quality of the word itself: "homo."  It's just a pleasing thing to say, particularly when getting home from a long day and walking in the door.  "Hi, homos."  "Hey, homos."  "HOMOS!  I'm HOME!"  It is exceptionally effective when applied to adorable little furry faces, such as these:

Would you really deny me the ability to refer to this as a 
"sweet pile of furry homos?"

I think, gay community, that you have little to lose and much to gain.  Out of all the words you use to describe yourself...is "homo" one of your favorites?  I would doubt it.  I would even suggest - and I bet most American males who attended an American high school at any point between 1776 - today would back me up here - that from my experience, "homo" has kind of developed a less-than-positive connotation.  Why not shed yourselves of it entirely and be free?  Give it to me, I will accept it with much gratitude.

Rest of the world (ie non-gay community), I'm not even going to ask because your opinion doesn't matter here. You're the bozos who took a grand old word like "homo" and turned it into a derogatory slur.  Now that I think about it...you people have a slur for everything.  You should be ashamed.  For the record, I only employ slurs when I'm, uh, slurring someone for a characteristic they can control.  Being a pussy, for example, or selecting a vehicle based primarily on it's gas mileage.  This is the ninja way.

The ball, as they say, is in your court, gay community.  I will maintain my current holding pattern until I receive your signal that it's OK for me to call my cats "homos."  Until then, I remain, as always,

Respectfully yours,

D.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment