Thursday, March 22, 2012

My Official Formal Challenge: I Want to Fight You, Yosuke Hayashi


I imagine there aren't too many ways for me to do this without coming off sounding a little bit like a nutjob but, after discussing with Amydroid (I think I did...if not, sorry hun), I've decided to risk it:

To Yosuke Hayashi:

Mr. Hayashi - current head of Team Ninja - I officially challenge you to a fist fight (or karate fight, if you know that stuff.  I don't).  Before you shrug me off: I want you to recognize that I'm telling you - whether you believe it or not - that you have made enemies of an entire army of Gaiden fans worldwide.  Before the petitions start circulating demanding for your resignation, I suggest you seek out a means to answer for what you've done.

I am offering just such an opportunity.

I will find a way to make certain this challenge is delivered to you in some way.  You are free to refuse, and I will leave you alone forever if that is what suits you.
___

To the public:
Now, in the interest of not putting anyone off, I want to make a few things clear:

1. I am not a fighter in any sense of the imagination.

2. I have never been in an actual fight (except for in my twenties I did a couple bouts of "Vodka Boxing," which is actually exactly what it sounds like, and I don't remember winning anything, but I do remember hitting my opponent's elbow so hard one night I actually passed out from pain in my hand).

3. I weigh 170 pounds soaking wet.

4. I have no formal training in any sort of fighting or martial art.

5. I am not trying to bully anyone in any way.

6. I have no cruel streak, i.e. sadism.

7. I have no criminal record other than a couple alcohol-related misdemeanors from much earlier in life.

The point of my challenge is this - Mr. Hayashi has done irreperable harm to the Ninja Gaiden franchise with Ninja Gaiden 3.  Mr. Hayashi has derailed this franchise so badly that I will be extremely surprised if we - the fans - ever get a Ninja Gaiden 4.  I'm not alone here: IGN's review of Ninja Gaiden 3 consisting of three out of ten stars.  I have never heard of any game scoring that low on IGN...particularly a major release such as this one.

Simply put, Mr. Hayashi needs to answer for the choices he has made.

I think under normal circumstances we would simply call for Mr. Hayashi's resignation.  However, a couple years ago, my wife got laid off, and I got to witness firsthand what being jobless for a few months did to a person.  I wouldn't want to wish that on anyone, including Mr. Hayashi (even though, in his case, it would be because he was shitty at his job and kinda deserved it, rather than just the economy eating shit at the time).

Instead, I suggest that he - as the head of Team Ninja - accept my challenge and meet me for a fight. This way, he keeps his job, and who knows - maybe he'll beat me.  I am willing to fly myself to Japan on my own dime to make this happen.  I am also willing to keep the fight as quiet as is reasonable to protect Mr. Hayashi; however, I am fighting on behalf of the Ninja Gaiden community, and as such I will insist on keeping them apprised of the outcome of the fight verbally via my blog (no pictures unless Hayashi requests or agrees).

___

To Ninja Gaiden fans worldwide:

I hope you can understand what I'm doing and get behind it.  You may not agree with what I'm doing, or the fact that - let's face it - I'm doing it on behalf of the Ninja Gaiden community without first consulting them (you).  Hear me out, please:

Ninja Gaiden is, let's face it, GONE.  The Gaiden we grew up playing and loving died with Itagaki's departure.  Whether you are behind me 110 percent or you disagree with what I'm doing or how I'm doing it...I encourage you to consider the fact that nothing on earth will give us a new Gaiden game.  Whether Hayashi is allowed to believe his game was a success or he is forced to resign (two options that I'm personally very much against)...there will be no more Gaiden for us.

I say - let him fight me, or let him refuse.  I say - no matter what happens, that we, the Gaiden community, let the matter rest at that.  To those of you who would insist that Mr. Hayashi lose his job: I would suggest that, rather than starting a petition or something, you simply be patient.  Mr. Hayashi has demonstrated with NG3 (not to mention the changes he implemented into NG Sigma 2) that he's out of his depth.  If he doesn't improve dramatically, I don't imagine he'll be in the top spot for much longer.

In my honest opinion, what I have proposed here is as honorable of an outcome as we can hope for.  On behalf of the rest of the community, I implore each of you to take the high road here, no matter how upset you may be.  Let the fight settle the matter.  Win, lose, or draw: we let it go after that.

___

To everyone:

Thank you for your time.

- droid hayabusa

PS any ideas on how I can get my challenge to him?  I'm thinking certified letter or something like that.  Anyone got any ideas, leave them below.

3 comments:

  1. Are you sure you really want to challenge him? Remember when you challenged SCOTT LAW? Do you really want to be stuck in a wheel chair for the next year again?

    ReplyDelete